Welcome to EPGeriatricsSociety.org
The Eastern Pennsylvania Geriatrics Society (EPGS)
Geriatrics is one of those words that means different things to different people. Recently, I asked several people what they thought the term meant. A tall, well-groomed university student said geriatrics is..."The study of old people". more»
EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
Thank you to everyone who attended our Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner on December 9 at the Union League of Philadelphia.
A special thank you to our Keynote Speaker, James G. Sheehan, Chief Integrity Officer/ Executive Deputy Commissioner of New York City for offering insight into Program Risks and Opportunities in Managed Long Term Care and answering questions on related topics.
Our congratulations to our Award Recipients:
Dr. Susan M. Parks of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, the Charles Ewing President's Award for extraordinary accomplishments in improving the lives of the elderly.
Dr. Deborah Kahn of Crozer-Keystone Health System, the Barbara Bell, MD Award for distinguished service in the field of Geriatric Medicine.
Janice Fey, CRNP of Einstein Healthcare Network, the Nancy Tatum, RN Award for distinguished service in the field of Geriatric Nursing.
Dr. James W. Shepard of Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, the Grace W. Harrison Award for extraordinary accomplishments in advancing education for nursing home administrators and staff.
Click here for more photos from this event.
Thank you to our Sponsors and supporters who helped make this event possible:
~ GOLD ~
BRANDYWINE SENIOR LIVING
CROZER-KEYSTONE HEALTH SYSTEM
PEPPER HAMILTON LLC
THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIVERSITY
FAMILY AND COMMUNITY MEDICINE DEPARTMENT
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
DEPARTMENT OF GERIATRICS
VITAS INNOVATIVE HOSPICE CARE
~ SILVER ~
OPTUM (formerly EVERCARE)
~ BRONZE ~
LIBERTY LUTHERAN SERVICES
David Hoffman, Esq. testifies at the Alzheimer's Planning Committee meeting
EPGS President-elect, David Hoffman, Esq. testifies on Thursday, August 15, 2013 at the Alzheimer's Planning Committee meeting. His testimony addresses the issue of how best to protect individuals suffering from Alzheimer's disease and other dementia-related illnesses or significant cognitive impairments.
For more information, read his full testimony. (click here to download PDF)
EPGS 21st Annual Research Night
May 28, 2013
Thank you to everyone who attended the EPGS 21st Annual Research Night and to Montgomery, McCracken, Walker & Rhoads, LLC for hosting this event.
Congratulations to all of our presenters. Our Geriatric Fellow participants represented the following institutions: Thomas Jefferson University, University of Medicine and Dentistry Of New Jersey-School of Osteopathic Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, and Crozer Chester Medical Center/Temple University Hospital.
Thank you to our supporters:
This year's winners and Presenters were:
- First Place: Dr. Wunhuey (Wendy) Cheng, University Of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-School of Osteopathic Medicine - "Investigating Adverse Drug Events Due to Loop Diuretics In The Elderly" (download Adstract)
- Second Place: Dr. Sabina Sharmeen, Crozer Chester Medical Center/Temple University Hospital - "Vitamin D Awareness Among Community Living Adults" (download Adstract)
- Third Place: Dr. Patrick Dostal, University of Pennsylvania - "Older Adult Patient Perceptions of the Electronic Medical Record" (download Adstract)
- Dr. Khaled B. Ali, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - "Opioid Induced Constipation" (download Adstract)
- Dr. Jeffrey Guarino, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - "Advance Care Planning in the Outpatient Setting" (download Adstract)
Click on the links below to view the winning PowerPoint Presentations
Click here to see photos from the event
EPGS is Looking for a Few Good Men & Women!
Attention all Members: The Board of Directors Invites YOU to Become More Involved!
We have openings on the following committees and value your input:
Committees meet by phone call, online and/or in person and are determined
by the chairperson who serves on the Board of Directors.
- Education Committee-responsible for planning educational programs
- Finance Committee-responsible for creating a budget and running the financial affairs of EPGS
- Membership Committee-supports efforts to increase membership, including website
- Legislative Committee-responsible for advocacy & marketing EPGS
For more information: Contact Nancy Carpey at 610-812-1583 or Nancy@EPGeriatricsSociety.org
Please take a minute to complete the following survey so that we can better serve EPGS Members and non-members. Click here to take the Survey